Disgaea: Hour of DarknessEdit
- "A sword is a typical weapon for battle. Normal attacks with a sword do not have any distinctive characteristics. However, the Special Techniques learned with a sword vary greatly, so they will be useful in many situations. In general, they are easy to use, but not very powerful and require a lot of SP."
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness sets the bar. The sword is Laharl's starting weapon, and is also the weapon of choice (or a sufficiently viable choice) for a full third of the creatable classes: both Male and Female Warriors, Knight, Samurai, Angel, Majin, and sometimes the Thief (while they have terrible Sword aptitude, some players create a Thief as a student under a Sword-wielder to take advantage of the team-attack method of gaining exp/mana, rather than leaving the Thief to struggle for scraps, doing his own damage). Swords use only ATK for damage, but of course a bit of HIT here and there just lessens the chance of missing. Sword Specials are rarely single target, and Winged Slayer, while SP-pricey, is the go-to Special for xp/mana-grinding in Cave of Ordeal.
To see the charts of weapon skills and weapon stats for Swords, please see List of Disgaea 1 Weapons#Sword.
Disgaea 2: Cursed MemoriesEdit
- "The sword weapon is the most generic weapon. I suggest it for beginners. There are a variety of skills that you can learn with sword weapon mastery, so they should be useful for many situations. If you're a character good with swords, equip a sword and train well."
- —Adell's Father
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories manages to spread out the weapon love; while seven of seventeen classes are competent with Swords, those same classes are also frequently equally (or better) suited for a Spear or Axe. Swords still use ATK, and specials are only superficially altered (if at all).
To see the charts of weapon skills and weapon stats for Swords, please see List of Disgaea 2 Weapons#Sword.
Disgaea 3: Absence of JusticeEdit
- "The Sword is said to be the most common weapon. Especially for beginners, if the character's choice of weapon includes Swords, I highly suggest you equip it. A Sword's weapon skills come in handy. There's a variety of distance and range, so it's useful in many situations. If you're a character who's good with swords, don't hesitate to equip one."
- —Zommie V
The Sword returns as a popular weapon type in Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice. Again, it is a commonly-used weapon that tends to only boost ATK. Some Swords can also boost INT greatly, such as the Baal Sword, Baal Horn, or the Sunflower. Both Mao and Almaz use swords, as well as several classes. Winged Slayer is gone, replaced by Slayer's Descent, a special that still hits 9 targets but in a 'triangle' formation, not the easily-contained 3x3 from before.
To see the charts of weapon skills and weapon stats for Swords, please see List of Disgaea 3 Weapons#Swords.
Disgaea 4: A Promise UnforgottenEdit
- "The Sword is said to be the most common weapon. Especially for beginners, if the character's choice of weapon includes Swords, I highly suggest you equip it. A Sword's weapon skills come in handy. They vary in distance and range, so they're useful in many situations. If you're a character who's good with swords, don't hesitate to equip one."
- —Zommie, Jr.
Swords appear again in Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, but no longer cost high amounts of SP and are capable of doing good damage to multiple enemies at a time, making them one of the most common weapons used. The main character Valvatorez uses swords with maximum efficiency, although he can also use spears to a certain degree. Fuka can also use a sword, although she is better suited towards an Axe. The best sword is the Baal Sword; however, a free Baal DLC will net you the better Great Baal Horn. The weapon trainer states that the sword is a beginner's weapon and is highly recommended if you can equip it.
To see the charts of weapon skills and weapon stats for Swords, please see List of Disgaea 4 Weapons#Swords.
Disgaea 5: Alliance of VengeanceEdit
- "Swords are probably the most basic weapon in the Netherworlds. Sword Weapon Skills are very easy to use and their areas and ranges are very versatile. Also, units that are equipped with a Sword will sometimes parry attacks, so they're great for defense. Beginners should be able to equip a Sword without much trouble."
- —Gen, the Know-It-All Guy
To see the charts of weapon skills and weapon stats for Swords, please see List of Disgaea 5 Weapons#Sword.